PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, February 24, 2012

Hydrangea lemon cake.........just amazing!



We all know my love for all things hydrangea, so when I came across this cake recipe I was in heaven. I love lemon baked goods and I think the decorations on this light and fluffy cake are perfection. I may adapt this recipe and make it into cupcakes for easter, if I do i will post a tutorial!
Here is the recipe:

Lemon Frosting ( both recipes adapted from allrecipes.com)

2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon milk
In large bowl beat confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and lemon juice until smooth.
Add milk as needed, combine until ingredients are fully incorporated and light and fluffy.


Lemon Curd Filling
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup white sugar
4 egg yolks, beaten
In medium saucepan, mix together lemon juice and cornstarch until smooth.
Add butter and sugar and bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Stir constantly for one minute. In small bowl use a whisk to beat egg yolks until smooth. Add in a small amount of the hot lemon mixture to the egg yolks. (this is tempering the eggs) Now pour the egg mixture back into the sauce pan, whisking rapidly until fully combined.
Reduce heat to low and stir constantly until reach desired thickness. Don't let it come to a boil again! (takes about five minutes)
Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Make sure its cool before adding to cake. Its a good idea to make this ahead of time so your cake assembly can be easier!

I made my favorite buttercream frosting for the flowers, and I used the entire amount! So even though the recipe is for a large quantity, I used it all.
I just separated it into three bowls then added pink, light purple, and dark purple to each bowl respectively.
Pictures and recipe from: http://iambaker.net/hydreangea-cake


 Doesn't this piece of hydrangea cake look amazing! I wonder how it would look if you used pink, aqua, and green?



No comments:

 
Designed by Posh Palm Web Design