I love strawberry cake and I love champagne, so I thought why not mix the two! I had to re-work the recipe a bit but it did come out light and fluffy, so I guess I did something right.
Here's how I did it:
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 package strawberry flavored jello
- 1/2 cup of champagne
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Then add champagne. Remember to sift the flower first, then measure how much to use in the cake. Don't just measure out the flour from the bag, make sure you sift first, then measure or your cake will be heavy. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.